- What is the Web address for eIRB?
- How do I log onto eIRB?
- How do I request a password reset?
- How do I receive eIRB notifications if I do not use my Emory email account?
- How do I add a person to a study if they do not appear in the list of names?
- How do I request an account if I am not Emory Faculty/Student/Staff? (sponsored accounts)
- How do I submit a new study?
- How do I submit an amendment?
- How do I submit a continuing review?
- How do I submit a reportable event?
- How do I request close-out/termination?
- How do I upload documents?
- How do I print a complete application?
- Why does "Study Staff" appear under "My Roles" and not "PI" or "Coordinator"?
- Who can create and edit study applications?
- Who can "submit" applications in eIRB?
- Who can submit changes to the application requested by the IRB?
- How does eIRB notify me when I need to do something?
- How do I ask a department approver to review and approve a study?
- How does the IRB staff decide if my submission is ready for an IRB member to review?
- How do I find out the status of my submission?
- What is the "stamping template" to use for informed consent/assent/HIPAA forms?
- How do I find things on the eIRB screen?
- How do department approvers and faculty advisors approve a study?
Emory personnel who do not use email to transmit or receive patient or other confidential information can request that automatic email forwarding be activated by completing a request via the Remedy Help Desk system or by calling (404) 727-7777.
Before submitting the request, please review Policy 5.13 Automatic Forwarding of Email from the EmoryExchange Environment.
Please note: Once the forwarding request is submitted, your Emory Exchange account will be deleted and the data will not be recoverable. Your existing Exchange email messages will not be transferred to any other email account and only new email sent to your Emory email address will be forwarded to the forwarding address specified in the request.
- Login to https://emory.service-now.com/
- Select Request a Service
- Select Automated Exchange Forwarding: Configuration Request
- Complete Form
Every eIRB user will show up in the “name chooser” drop down list. If you are attempting to add a person who does not show up, he or she may need to have a sponsored account created. See the next question for instructions on how to request a sponsored account. Note: Emory faculty and staff will have access to eIRB by using their Emory login and password. If you have any issues finding an Emory faculty or staff in the drop down menu, please contact IT for help at 7-7777 or http://help.emory.edu.
If you are not Emory Faculty/Staff/Student, and you need access to eIRB to view or edit study submissions, you will need to obtain a "sponsored account." Once you have a sponsored Emory account, you can then access eIRB.
For non-VA personnel, in order to obtain a sponsored account (the first step in getting access to eIRB) the PI, or the PI's designee, will need to sponsor the account. The sponsor must be a full time Emory employee. Once the account is established, the sponsor will receive your account information to send to you. Once you have your Emory account information (Emory NetID and Password), you can access eIRB.
You must provide the sponsor with the following information: First Name, Middle Name, Last Name,contact phone number, contact e-mail address, and full date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY). Without this information they will not be able to sponsor your account.
The Sponsor will need to follow the instructions below:
- The sponsor should go to http://help.emory.edu and login
- Click on the “Request a Service” link
- Click on the "Sponsored: Account Request" link
- Provide the required information
- In the "Additional Services: are please check "eResearch" so that the request is routed correctly after the account is created.
To access eIRB after receiving your sponsored account, simply navigate to the eIRB login page and log in with your sponsored Emory netID and password.
For contact purposes we will use your sponsored Emory email address. If you do not wish to use your Emory address, please contact the Emory University Helpdesk at 404-727-7777 and they can provide instructions on how to forward your Emory email to another address.
Wherever you see an “Add” button, you can upload documents.
- Click Add
- Enter title of document to be uploaded
- Click Browse to locate the document on your computer
- Select the file to upload
- Click Open
- Click OK
eIRB describes “States” of the process of review and approval. Each state indicates where the submission is and who is working on it. Please view the study states table to help you determine where your submission is in the process.
eIRB lets the IRB staff place the approval information into a document header. The system’s mechanism is called the stamping template.
- This template is to be used for informed consent and assent documents, HIPAA authorization forms, oral consent scripts and revocation letters
- All IRB-stamped documents must have a version date in the footer
- Each document must be uploaded individually. Please not combine into one document. For example, the HIPAA authorization is one document and the Revocation letter is another document.
Section 1 – the upper area, above the black line. This area contains the “My Home ” link that will always take you back to your starting point
Section 2 – the gray area on the left side of the screen. On the home screen this shows what role you have in eIRB. In a study record (or amendment, continuing review, reportable event, close-out) this area will tell you where in the process the submission is and provide a list of activities you are able to complete.
Section 3 – the horizontal tabs. On the home screen this provides the “My Inbox” tab where you will find a list of items you are working on. At the “IRB” tab you will see an index of all items with which you are associated no matter who is working on it. In a study record (or amendment, continuing review, reportable event, close-out) under the “History” tab, you can see a trail of activities to date.
Section 4 – the white area above the tabs. This is an information area.
The Approver role in eIRB is the used by Dept/Div Approvers, Faculty Advisors, Ancillary Committees (CTRC and HESC) and Oversight Committees (EHSO and COI). This role allows users to send a study back to the study team for changes and to approve the study, allowing it to move to the next stage.
- Open your web browser and navigate to https://eresearch.emory.edu/emory
- Login with your eresearch username and password
- In your personal folder, Dept/Div Approver should show in the My User Roles section
- To view a new study, click the “My Inbox” tab at center; you will see a list of all items awaiting approval
- Click on the title of the study; study workspace will open
- Click “View Study” to see the application submitted (you may also click “Printer Version” and “Print”). All materials for this study will appear in the workspace
- The “History” tab shows all activities that have occurred and who completed the activity
- Activities available to you are listed at left, determined by the state of the study
- “Changes Requested by Department Reviewer” -- opens a dialog box where you can enter information or upload a document and then return the application to the study team.
- “Issue Departmental Approval” – this opens a dialog box that will allow you to enter information or upload a document. This activity takes the place of your handwritten signature and becomes your electronic signature. Once approved, the study goes to the next step in the process.
- “Log Comment to Study Team” – this opens a dialog box where you can enter information or upload a document. It then creates a record in the History with the comment and/or document attached
- “Log Comment to IRB Staff” – this opens a dialog box where you can enter information or upload a document. It then creates a record in the History with the comment and/or document attached